Fake Books Are Becoming An Epidemic
Unfortunately, stealing delivered packages from porches is not the only trend that is picking up steam. So is the counterfeiting of expensive books! Ironically, this is being driven by e-commerce sales.
In fact, the counterfeit textbook industry has become an epidemic, popping up all over the place, and textbook rings producing fake books are in operation all over the world. People buy these books online, thinking they are getting a great deal. Usually these books are cheaply made, which affects the publishers’ capability to print new and updated books.
The print industry loses billions of dollars due to real books remaining unsold. That’s not all though:
- Associations can lose millions of dollars in revenues (imagine a directory that is 1000 pages long being counterfeited — you get the idea)
- Authors suffer a loss of royalties
- Publishers often have to stop future publications
- Buyers (usually students) miss out. Counterfeit books do not usually include an access code for the online learning component.
- Counterfeit textbooks could impact tax revenue — less money goes to the government and more to pirates
If buyers suspect they have purchased a counterfeit book, they can ask the publisher to inspect it. The best course of action is to turn over the book and the name of the supplier, along with any paperwork to the publisher to help them fight this epidemic.
The industry is fighting back and taking a stand against these fake and cheap books by pursuing their legal rights. Other trials include experiments with special types of paper or ink, QR-codes or seals of authenticity to prove published books are the real deal.
At AGS, we use our AuthentiGuard Technology, which has safeguards for printed material if someone tries to reproduce it. The technology enables AGS to print a screen on the product, with a hidden “VOID” message, that will appear when someone attempts to make a copy of the material. The result is a clearly distinguishable message across the page that cannot pass as the original and makes copy unreadable.
Let’s talk about ways AGS can help you counter this piracy.