Top 5 Reasons Print is Not Dead
As marketers, we want to save money on various marketing campaigns. And with the rise of email and social media, we think we can run all of our campaigns online, with minimal costs. Right? Wrong. There’s a lot of research that shows that an integrated marketing approach – that includes print – is the most effective way to reach your target audience. Read on.
1. We like getting mail! According to The Mail Moment Study by USPS (2005), 67% of people feel that mail is more personal than electronic communications. Thing about it, how many emails do you get in a day? In an hour?
2. Direct mail outperforms digital channels by nearly 700% in terms of response rates. Yep, according to The Direct Marketing Association’s 2015 Response Rate Report, we respond much better to direct mail.
3. Personalized print communications are more powerful than personalized emails. Why? Because we all know that it takes more effort to customize print than digital. See this article from marketingprofs.com. And yes, I do enjoy the personalized postcard I received from a hotel in Las Vegas with my name spelled out in poker chips.
4. We actually open our mail. According to the USPS, 77% of us sort through our mail immediately. I certainly do. I grab the mail and sort through it immediately. I toss what’s not important, save all the bills and keep the interesting pieces of mail and/or anything else that catches my attention. Think about your opportunity here…it’s almost a guarantee that your intended audience will see your direct mail piece.
5. Direct mail provides a strong ROI. The Direct Marketing Association shares an ROI of 15-17%. This ROI outranks those of most digital channels.